Category Archives: exercises

Trying something different (part two)

So I tried the painting again! Started with a sketch:

blue lead pencil sketch

I’m really proud of this sketch, actually. I don’t usually sketch realistic objects or scenes, and I wasn’t sure I would be able to do a good enough job. But I did! Hooray for me!

Once the sketch was done, I decided to work on the background first, instead of last (like last time). And I used Derwent Inktense watercolor pans so that each layer would stay fixed, and hopefully not get muddy looking. Once I got the background in, I worked on the leaves. I switched to Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bombay inks, and did multiple layers of greens.

After adding some frisket to protect certain parts of the flower, I started working on the reds in the blossom. I never realized how complex the red in a pomegranate are!

Finally the finish line was in sight! I’d started working on deepening the colors in the pod part of the flower when disaster struck! I knocked over a bottle of ink and it spread all over my desk…even worse, it splashed onto my painting:

jamming on the flower petals and all the many different shades of red, working on the pod, when OH NOoOoooOo

I am not ashamed to say that there was wailing involved. It was so shocking and distressing I could barely think of how to react to save it and the other art in the notebook. Luckily this painting was the only one that had any substantial damage, but even so, it took about three days for me to be able to work on it again and finish up some last details:

after three days of sadness and anxiety, I managed to go back and finish it up. final details on the (actual) branch, removed the frisket, dropped in the yellow pollen and pistil ends, and finished deepening the flower colors.

All things considered, I think I did a pretty good job. I’m thankful that the spill happened in such a way that it only barely touched the flower itself, and so it sort of looks like a weird branch.

What do you think? Have you had art disasters happen to you, and were you able to recover, or work the mistake into the image so that it didn’t stick out so much?

Trying something different

My garden has a couple of pomegranate bushes, and they’re in bloom:

Pomegranate blossom from my garden

It’s so lovely and vibrant! They don’t have much fragrance that I can detect, but they make marvelous fruit. I’ll be very happy harvesting them in the late Fall when they’re ripe!

I’m trying to improve my watercolor skills, and so I’m pushing out of my comfort zone by trying to paint more realistically. So I got out my watercolor and inktense palettes, and gave it a shot:

A pomegranate blossom
Pen, watercolors, and Inktense on multimedia paper

I think I did pretty well, for a first try. Next time I’ll do the background first, and I’ll try to get the colors of the leaves closer to reality. But I’m really pleased with the layering on them!

I think I might try this same painting again. Usually I move on to something different, but this seems like a good exercise. I’ll update this post with the next version when it’s done. 🤓